Choose your programme
Check out the catalogue of our graduate (Master's) programmes, choose up to 2 programmes, learn about tuition fees and scholarship availability, visit programme's website to learn more about the programme and programme-specific admission requirements.
Create your Applicant's Personal Account (APA)
- visit the Applicant's Personal Account webpage
- click "Get login and password" link, fill out simple registration form and click "Submit application" button;
NB! It is crucial to provide a working and accessible e-mail address and contact phone number in this application - otherwise we may be unable to contact you regarding further application steps.
- within 72 hours after registration you will receive your APA login and password to your e-mail.
Prepare and submit your application from APA
- login to APA using your credentials; you will directly access the application form;
- carefully fill out the application form, choose the language of instruction and up to 2 graduate programmes that you want to apply for in the "Field of study" box.
- please indicate if you want to apply and compete for HSE Gold Scholarship (100% tuition fee waiver) by ticking the "Tuition-free (quota)" box; if this box is not tickable, it means that the programme you choose does not provide scholarships and only tuition fee-based study is available;
NB! Please note that application for HSE Gold Scholarship is only possible if you apply to our graduate programmes before February 28, 2018. Please refer to Scholarships section to learn more about HSE Gold Scholarship
- carefully prepare in advance and attach all required documents of Portfolio:
- Scan copy of the first page of your travelling passport
- Copy of your previous diploma (or equivalent) with diploma supplement / academic transcript (original + translation by a certified translator). The document should be in Russian or in English, otherwise enclose a translation into Russian or English
2.1. If you have not received your Bachelor’s diploma yet, please submit the transcript of records AND the document stating the date you will receive your diploma
- EuroPass CV (in English - for international programmes; in Russian - for other programmes)
- Motivation letter up to 1 A4 page 12 pt (in English - for international programmes; in Russian - for other programmes)
- 1 or 2 reference letters in English or in Russian with contacts of the reference person
- Additional documents on your recent acedmic, scientific or professional achievements.
Please check the Criteria for Portfolio Assessment for 2018 Master Programmes for more detailed information and requirements!
Please make sure all files are in Adobe PDF format and do not exceed 10 Mb in size each.
- when your application is completed and all files are attached, click "Submit application" - you will see the following message: “Congratulations! Your application has been successfully submitted and is currently pending review”;
Important! Please fill out this application form properly and carefully - once submitted, no changes can be made to your application; duplicate applications are not allowed.
- you application will be forwarded to first priority programme's selection committee for review. Subject to preliminary evaluation, the selection committee may approve your application and invite you for an online interview or reject your application and forward it to second priority programme's selection committee; in case the second priority programme rejects your application too, you will receive an e-mail notification;
- pre-approved applicants receive an online interview appointment via e-mail; normally the interview should take place within 2 weeks after your application;
NB! Check your e-mail regularly to avoid missing the interview appointment. International Admissions will not reply to any inquiries regarding the results and/or terms of application pre-review - please patiently wait for either notification.
- after you have received the interview appointemnt, please kindly confirm it and email us your Skype ID or other appropriate communication method;
- keep in mind that the interview is most crucial step of your application - keep calm and prepare to present yourself well!
- do not miss the appointment; should there be a solid reason for missing the date and time, please let the programme's selection committee know it in as in advance as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- it may take up to 6-8 weeks to evaluate the results of the interview and portfolio competition; you will receive an e-mail notification with programme's selection committee decision and further steps guidelines;
- during the interview the Commission will discuss with you various aspects of your application; the applicants have to show good motivation, general academic capacity and programme specific skills; the interview is conducted in the language of instruction of selected programme, except the Master in Experience Economy, where the langauge of the interview is English;
- after the interview the Commission evaluates the portfolio and sets the portfolio overall score.
Results of Application Review (Portfolio Competition)
Subject to the Application Review overall score, including the score earned at the interview, the programme's selection committee may:
- approve your application and nominate you to the short list of candidates for the HSE Gold Scholarship
- Please note that the decision on the HSE Gold Scholarship nominations is taken basing on the nominees overall application score ranking;
- All nominees for the HSE Gold Scholarship are automatically eligible to enroll to self-funded (tuition fee) places. Hence, while waiting for the HSE Gold Scholarship nominations at the end of application round, we advise you to proceed with preparing the documents for self-funded admissions - for the case if you do not receive the scholarship award;
- HSE Gold Scholarship nominations are subject to approval by the HSE Quota Commission. Final decision is made by the Ministry of Education and Science of Russian Federation.
- approve your application for a self-funded (tuition fee) studies
- In this case you will receive a Conditional Letter of Acceptance, a Study Contract Offer and guidelines for further steps;
- You will have a limited timeframe to accept this offer;
- Please strictly follow the guidelines to ensure your smooth enrollment!
- Depending on your performance during the interview and on the score of your application, you may become eligible for the HSE Top Applicant Scholarship
- reject your application
If the first priority programme rejects your application, it will be automatically forwarded to the second priority programme;
If the second priority programme rejects your application, unfortunately, we are unable to admit you to our graduate studies this year.
Please feel free to apply for our programmes next year!
HSE Gold Scholarship nomination at the end of application round
The applicant`s ranking by the Application overall score is considered and HSE Gold Scholarships are awarded to top ranked candidates from the short-list. Should you receive the HSE Gold Scholarship award:
- You will receive a notification on your nomination and the guidelines for further steps;
- You will have a very limited timeframe to accept this offer;
- If accepted, please be prepared to send a specific set of documents in hard copy to HSE and strictly follow the guidelines as above
The academic year at HSE- Saint Petersburg starts on September, 1 except the Master in Applied and Interdisciplinary History 'Usable Pasts' where the year starts on October, 1.
All information about arrivals, accommodation, orientation meetings etc. will be sent to you upon confirmation of your study place. Please feel free to visit the HSE - St. Petersburg International Student Support website to learn more about campus facilities.